What is Penji?
Hello! Welcome to Penji. Penji is a scheduling platform for a variety of support resources on campus. Our platform is usually used for tutoring and coaching, but is also used for advising as well. Through Penji, you can engage with each of these different on-campus "centers" separately, allowing you to schedule appointments, attend drop-in hours or group sessions, and so on.
As a quick primer:
There are 3 ways to access Penji (both the web browser and app are equivalent in features):
- For Browser: web.penjiapp.com
- Our mobile app (Android or iOS)
- School-specific Share Links
- Login usually occurs via your school's single sign-on (SSO) system.
- Most schools have SSO set up with Penji. When you attempt to log in, you'll input your school email. From there, we'll recognize the email domain and launch the sign-in process you use elsewhere on campus. See the below video for an example.
- You will not have to verify your email if you log in through SSO (i.e., you log in by entering school-specific credentials).
- You'll be let into your "School" within Penji, where you'll find one or more communities (usually corresponding to different support centers on campus).
- Each community has a unique set of resources, falling under the umbrellas of Appointments, Drop-in, or Sections (Groups). See the below articles for more information:
How to Log In
- Access Penji through web.penjiapp.com (for browsers), our mobile app (Android or iOS), or school-specific Share Links. Select "Get Started" if through the website or mobile app.
- Go through the onboarding steps, including:
- Select that you would like to "Learn" when given a choice between "Learn" and "Teach" ("Teach" is for providers such as tutors and coaches.)
- Select which community you would like to join
- Verify your email
- Note: The below video does not utilize SSO. If your school uses SSO (you log in by entering school-specific credentials), you will need to input your credentials. Also, if your school uses SSO, you will not have to verify your email. .
- SKIP if using SSO: Once you verify your email, log back into Penji. See Step 1 for how to log in.
- Set up your profile by selecting your name in the upper right-hand corner > View profile > Edit your profile.
If you have any issues with this step (or anything else within Penji!), please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Login (Returning Users)
You can re-access Penji through web.penjiapp.com (for browsers), the mobile app (Android or iOS), or school-specific Share Links. To log in again, select the link below the "Get started" button, "Already used Penji before? Sign back in.". From there, you will either enter your email and password or you may use single sign-on (SSO). After logging in, you will be directed to your Penji home screen, typically labeled "Learn". The Learn Screen is further explained below.
Student Home ("Learn") Screen
Once you've logged in, you'll find a screen that looks something like the image below. This section references the "Learn" and "Teach" screens. These are the generic Penji terms and can be customized within your community by your program coordinator. For schools with multiple communities, the "Learn" and "Teach" buttons are not always the same - they are community-specific. Ultimately, the names of the buttons indicate where students will get help ("Learn" Screen) and where providers will manage their sessions and hours ("Teach" Screen).
You will want to make sure you are on the "Learn" Screen. To determine which screen you are on, look for the blue Penji Highlighting, as shown in the below image of an example community (left navigation panel).
The image above is a screenshot of a student's Learn Screen.
"Learn" Screen Navigation:
- The red box at the top of the screen represents the different modes of support offered within this community. Below the different modes is an example of a custom link, which could be above or below the support modes. The support modes you see depend on what options are made available within your community. See How to Book a Provider for further articles on using Penji.
- The modes of support in this community are listed below:
- Schedule a single 1-on-1 appointment
- Asynchronous paper drop-off
- Join a workshop
- View drop-in schedule
- The "Center FAQ and Policies" is a custom Learn screen button. More on custom buttons can be found in Admins: General Settings. Selecting that button will direct you to a different website set up by your program coordinator.
- The modes of support in this community are listed below:
- The "Your Tutors" shows which providers you last interacted with. From here, you can easily select a provider and chat with them. You can also upload a document and share an image through the Chat function. The word "Tutors" might be renamed in your community to something else like advisor, coach, etc.
- The "Your Activity" will list out past sessions where you need to submit feedback in addition to any other upcoming sessions. You will be able to click on your upcoming sessions to view the session details (date, time, provider, location, etc.).
- The community name "The Tutoring Center" is in the upper-left corner. The community name corresponds to the community you are currently viewing.
On the left-hand side menu, you can toggle between:
- "Learn" and "Teach" screens: The name of these tabs might be something different, as they are specific to each community. Ultimately, the buttons indicate where students will get help (Learn Screen) and where providers (tutors, coaches, etc.) will manage their sessions and hours (Teach Screen).
- The "Teach" screen is specific for providers, your program coordinator needs to approve you in order to access this screen.
- Help Screen: Here, you can report a problem to Penji Support. More information can be found in the article Students: How to Get Help & Settings.
- Settings Screen: Here, you can delete your account and log out. More information can be found in the article Students: How to Get Help & Settings.
- You have the ability to toggle between different communities available at your school. In the above example, you have access to the following communities: "The Tutoring Center", "Peer Mentoring", "Your Advisor: David Brookshire", and "Financial Aid". Selecting one of these communities will allow you to switch to said community, which will likely have different modes of support available. Please note that the options within Penji will likely not represent all student support available on your campus - but we're working on it!
On the top-right, you can select:
- Chat: By clicking on the speech bubble icon, you can access the Penji Chat. The view is of a list of tutors that you had or have sessions with that you can chat with individually. In this community, there are 3 chat notifications that have not been opened. Note that you do not need to have chatted the tutors previously in order for them to show up in the list -- however, in order to chat a tutor, you must be a registered/confirmed Penji user.
- Notifications: To the right of the Chat, you'll see a bell symbol. Here, you can view a list of quick notifications like canceled sessions or when the drop-in time is ending and you are still in the queue.
- Profile Icon: When selecting your profile icon, you can view your profile or log out. If you would like to edit your profile, you'll choose View profile > Edit profile.
How to Book a Provider
Explore the buttons available on your Learn screen to access the different modes of Penji. The below articles explain how to use Penji in more detail.
Please sign in to leave a comment.