Sections are usually group sessions that admins set up, including assigning the provider and choosing the time. That said, there is an option to allow tutors to choose their own courses and times instead.
UGA uses this for their "Study Pods", in which they instruct tutors to input two Study Pods into the system at the start of the semester, times of their choosing, for specific high-impact courses. Students see a button on their home screen titled "Join a Weekly Study Pod", and when browsing for these high-impact courses, will see a couple of group opportunities to join.
The same experience can be created by admins scheduling Sections traditionally, but UGA has embraced tutor-led scheduling in all modes (appointments, drop-in, and study pods) which they've found saves them a lot of time. They'll analyze the results and request small changes to ensure appropriate coverage.
An example of "Study Pod" sections can be found within the following article: Providers: Sections (Groups) Training. To set this up or ask questions, please contact your Penji POC.
Note: The best way to "clear" these provider-run/organized groups at the end of the term is to ask your providers to cancel them. Sometimes, providers forget and certain sections need to be removed as you enter a new term. A workaround for removing provider run sections from within the admin panel is to:
- Go to the Tutors tab> Manage
- Download the most recent import of the Tutor CSV File, in this example from Dec 9th
- Edit the CSV file by removing the tutors who have sections you would like to remove. Upload this edited version to Penji (Creates a new import within Penji, in this example Dec 16th)
- The sections will clear once the tutors are removed
- Download the Tutor CSV file from before and reupload it into Penji. In this example, you would redownload the Dec 9th file and import it back into Penji
- You will now have all of your tutors listed within Penji and no sections led by the tutors you momentarily removed