Sections are our group model. By default, Sections are weekly recurring series, where a new event is created once the current week's event has passed and the provider has submitted feedback. Provider-managed sections will repeat until the provider has canceled the section.
Basic Process for Provider Managed Sections
- The provider who will lead the section creates the section (providers pick the weekly date/time and course)
- Students join the Section from within Penji, after which it is treated just like an appointment (notifications, session logs, etc.)
- The session is held, and the provider will log attendance within Penji from a pre-populated attendance log based on who registered
Information on how to set up Provider run sections can be found here: Providers: Sections (Groups) Training.
UGA uses this for their "Study Pods", in which they instruct tutors to input two Study Pods into the system at the start of the semester, times of their choosing, for specific high-impact courses. Students see a button on their home screen titled "Join a Weekly Study Pod", and when browsing for these high-impact courses, will see a couple of group opportunities to join.
The same experience can be created by admins scheduling Sections traditionally, but UGA has embraced tutor-led scheduling in all modes (appointments, drop-in, and study pods) which they've found saves them a lot of time. They'll analyze the results and request small changes to ensure appropriate coverage term to term.
An example of how providers create their "Study Pod" sections can be found in the following article: Providers: Sections (Groups) Training. To set this up or ask questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
End Provider Managed Sections
The best way to "clear" provider-managed groups at the end of the term is to ask your providers to cancel them. Sometimes, providers forget and certain sections need to be removed as you enter a new term. A workaround for removing provider-managed sections from within the admin panel is to:
- Go to the Tutors tab> Manage
- Download the most recent import of the Tutor CSV File, in this example from Dec 9th
- Edit the CSV file by removing the tutors who have sections you would like to remove. Upload this edited version to Penji (Creates a new import within Penji, in the below screenshot, step 4, the Dec 16th import)
- The sections from the removed tutors will be cleared, once the tutors are removed
- Download the Tutor CSV file from before and reupload it into Penji. In this example, you would redownload the Dec 9th file and import it back into Penji
- You will now have all of your tutors listed within Penji and no sections led by the tutors you momentarily removed