Penji data can be accessed in a few ways:
- The "Data Dashboard" is a collection of charts and tools we've given you to visualize your data
- The "Sessions" and "Drop-in" tabs in your admin panel show data for each student-tutor interaction; click "Manage" within these tabs to export this data to CSV
- We can send our data via IT integrations to different places on campus that might desire it
The data dashboard has a growing set of reports with adjustable filters that are viewed in real-time (rather than configuring and exporting to PDF). For example:
- Daily, Weekly, and Annual tallies of successful visits and unique students
- Scheduled sessions for the day
- Visits explorer: table to explore visits by student, tutor, course, mode, location, and other filters. Your filtered view can be easily exported to CSV format and viewed in Excel.
- Courses ranked by usage
- Tutor payroll summary in which Penji tallies a tutor's hours across different modes
This tab includes data for both Appointments and Sections modes. Sessions (under the Sessions heading in admin) are interactions between a student and tutor that have a specified start and end time.
Within sessions, you'll see a table. All rows in this table correspond to an interaction between a single student and tutors; if this session is part of a group (either group appointment or Section), there will be other rows with the same tutor, time, course, location, etc., and those are all merged together on the student/tutor end so that they see a group.
This table can be scrolled to the right as not all columns will fit on your screen. These screenshots show all columns in the table (more columns are available in your CSV export).
Status can be scheduled (date is still upcoming), canceled (if student or tutor canceled), completed (meaning the tutor submitted the session log, not indicating if the student was present or absent), or pending (meaning the tutor hasn't yet accepted the request. More information on status can be found here, Appointments Introduction.
The Kind column is used to differentiate between 1-on-1 and group sessions; if Kind is group and the Section column is filled out, it means this is a session created due to a Section you've uploaded. The simple act of uploading a Section does not create sessions; a student must join an instance of that section for a corresponding session to appear in this table (or be added via the roster, if they already have a Penji account).
Student Attendance is on the far right of the table. This data is filled out by tutors in their session log. To reiterate, a Completed session (status) means that the log was complete, and then the Attendance and Duration columns tell you more about what happened in the session.
Feedback left by either student or provider can be found in the following places:
- By clicking on an individual session row in Sessions
- By clicking on the Feedback tab above the Sessions table
- By exporting the Sessions CSV in the Manage tab above the Sessions table
- By clicking on a student profile in the Students tab and viewing their history
Exporting Sessions to CSV / Excel
The Sessions and Check-Ins tabs both have a sub-tab titled Manage. This tab has the ability to export each dataset to a CSV. These datasets are exported separately and must be combined by you to tally data across the modes.
This link has a sample CSV of the file that you can expect from your own admin panel: Click Here
Screenshot of the sessions export CSV:
Drop-in Check-ins Tab
Drop-in data is kept separate from Sessions data as there are different attributes of note. Find Check-ins underneath the Drop-in heading in your admin panel.
Within this you'll find a table of students' check-ins. Depending on your screen size, you may be able to scroll this to the right. This table shows the following columns as of 8/12/21.
This table will contain check-ins for both queue mode and log mode locations. These will contain different fields, however.
For Queue mode locations:
- The status will be either Waiting (checked in and in the queue), In Progress (provider has tapped "start tutoring"), Cancelled (student joined the queue but then left or was removed, and Completed (provider has tapped "end session").
- Ended and Duration may be blank if the provider
- Tutor (ie. Provider) will become populated once a session has begun (in contrast to log mode, where you'll never know which tutor helped which student)
For log mode locations:
- The status will be Check-In for all cases.
- Ended and Duration may be blank if a student did not check themselves out when leaving.
- Tutor (ie. Provider) will always be blank with log mode.
Drop-in Kiosk "Guest Check-ins"
By default, check-in that occurs via your drop-in Kiosk will be considered "guest check-ins". We collect email or student ID and simply log that as far as student information (we don't match these to the wider student profile within Penji). This can impair the accuracy of your data a bit. For example, a student checked in using one version of their email, or using their student ID; elsewhere in Penji, they've scheduled appointments with their full user profile that includes a different email; we/you might end up counting these as two unique students rather than one. To remedy this, we need to turn on the Students CSV import as described in IT Integrations, after which we'll match a check-in with their wider student record. Submit your IT Request Form to get started on this.
Drop-in Check-ins Export
Check-ins have a data export that is accessed and viewed in a very similar to the sessions export described above.