For a few centers, Penji has created this drop-in workaround that can guide students to a Discord server and allow your tutors to log students they help within Discord.
- Upload drop-in location for discord (queue, physical)
In your drop-in locations CSV, upload a location with the name "Discord (join here: https://discord.gg/Y8gW9UH7)". Replace that URL with your own Join URL (and make sure it isn't set to expire after X days!). Make sure that this location is set to Queue and Physical!
- Add tutor hours
Like any other location, tutors should add hours that they will be available, but in this case they will be on discord instead of in the center or on zoom. They will still need Penji open to monitor the drop-in queue (see Drop-in Introduction for an intro to queue).
- Students will tap your button for drop-in tutoring (whatever it is labeled)
- If they search a course for which tutors have scheduled hours in your Discord location, as described above, then the Discord location will appear alongside any other drop-in locations.
- At this point, the student can either copy the discord link preceded by "join here: ..." as shown above, or they can click "Check In". Either way will work (this is a minor design flaw, for now).
- If they join the Discord URL directly at this point, they will then reach out to tutors in your channels or directly depending on how you've designed your Discord. At that point, tutors should be trained to check the student into the Penji Discord queue for them using the Kiosk URL. This logs the data and leverages the queue to provide an order of students who've arrived for tutors to work through.
- If they click Check In, they are placed in the queue, and will see the Discord Join URL again. They'll then join and get served by tutors when it's their turn in the queue.
After a students first experience with this system, the will be in the Discord server permanently and may try to initiate support requests directly in Discord. Tutors should be trained to check students into the queue if this happens (once again to log data and provider order), or instruct the student to check themselves in. The location's Kiosk URL can be used for this.
Tutors will open Discord and be ready to chat with students. Tutors must also have access to your Kiosk URL for this drop-in location and open that on their computer.
- Student initiates support
A student can initiate support in two ways: (1) by checking into the Penji queue, which tutors are notified of and will monitor, and (2) by reaching out directly to tutors within the Discord. In this second scenario, tutors should check the student into the queue using the Kiosk or ask the student to do so themselves.
- Tutor works through the queue
Support will be delivered via Discord, but the Penji queue will be used to know who is next and to log the interactions, as usual. If a student reaches out to a tutor in discord, the tutor should instruct them to check in by sending them the Kiosk URL, or they should check that student in themself at the kiosk, and finally they will reach back out to the student in Discord to help them once that students turn has been reached in the Kiosk.
Please sign in to leave a comment.