Filling out and uploading the Course Enrollment CSV will show students the courses they're enrolled in so that they do not have to search for their courses when booking appointments or drop-in tutoring. Note that courses are only auto-populated if the student is signed in via the web browser (i.e., web.penjiapp.com) or mobile app. Courses must still be manually selected by the student at drop-in kiosks.
A manual upload of the Course Enrollment CSV is recommended for Communities with a smaller student list. If your student list is too large to manually input everyone's enrolled courses, we can set up the Course Enrollment SFTP data integration with your IT team (Admins: Optional IT Integrations). The source for a student's enrolled courses is a collection of "custom course enrollments", uploaded through the CSV file on the admin panel, and the data received from your IT team.
Where is the Course Enrollment CSV located?
The Course Enrollment CSV is located under Courses (or whatever this copy may be for your Community) > Manage > Import Course Enrollment. It is located under where you would upload the Courses CSV with your list of courses; make sure that the Courses CSV is uploaded before you fill out the Course Enrollment CSV!
Figure 1: Location of the Course Enrollment CSV template and uploading area is highlighted in yellow. Here, courses are called topics, hence the "Topics" and "Topics Enrollment" copy.
Filling out the Course Enrollment CSV
NOTE: Before you fill out the Course Enrollment CSV, please make sure you've filled out and uploaded the Courses CSV (the list of courses) you want to reference!
Step by Step:
- Download the Course Enrollment CSV by selecting "Download Template CSV" under "Import Course Enrollment." Once you open the CSV file, you should see the following view:
Figure 1: Course Enrollment CSV template with some example rows filled out.
- The main two columns you'll need to fill out are Course and Student Email. Student SSO ID is optional.
- Fill out the rows with courses and the email addresses of the students enrolled in them.
Figure 2: An example of a Course Enrollment CSV that's been filled out. Both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org are enrolled in CHEM 101. email@example.com is the only student enrolled in MATH127 and FAFSA Completion, whereas firstname.lastname@example.org is the only student enrolled in ENL10A.
- NOTE #1: When inputting courses into Column A, make sure to input the course in this format: Subject Abbreviation + Course Number (e.g., "CHEM" + "101" = "CHEM101"). If you're inputting a general topic that does not have a course number, such as "FAFSA Completion," you would input whatever that general topic has in the Subject Abbreviation field in the Courses CSV (e.g., "FAFSA Completion" + NO COURSE NUMBER = "FAFSA Completion").
- NOTE #2: Each row corresponds to one course and one student only. For example, in Figure 2, email@example.com is enrolled in CHEM101 and MATH127. You cannot list both CHEM101 and MATH127 in the same cell in Column A -- they must be entered into separate rows. Likewise, both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com are enrolled in CHEM101. You cannot list both students' emails in the same cell in Column B.
- Once finished, save the file. Import it into Penji by selecting Choose File > Import Course Enrollment CSV.
- You can view which students are enrolled in what courses by going to the Courses > Enrollment tab.
Figure 3: Courses > Enrollment tab is highlighted along with two students' emails and their respective enrolled courses.
Before the Course Enrollment CSV Upload
Here is what a student may see when they go through the Appointments, Sections, and/or Drop-in flow before the Course Enrollment CSV is filled out and uploaded:
Figure 1: The "Pick a Course" screen; in this Community, it is called "Pick a Topic." No courses are shown here; the student must select "Join a course" (in this case "Join a topic") to proceed.
Figure 2.1: The "Pick a Course" screen with a prepopulated course that the student had chosen when booking a previous session. Without a Course Enrollment CSV uploaded, any course that the student chooses while booking will prepopulate.
Figure 2.2: The "Edit Courses" screen (in this case, "Edit Topics") with a prepopulated course. Students can remove these prepopulated courses from the "Pick a Course" screen as they wish.
Figure 3: The "Join Course" screen -- here, students can view the whole course list and select which course they want to receive tutoring in, even if it's not one they're enrolled in.
After the Course Enrollment CSV Upload
Here is what a student may see when they go through the Appointments, Sections, and/or Drop-in flow after the Course Enrollment CSV is filled out and uploaded:
Figure 1: Upon starting the booking flow, the student's enrolled courses are prepopulated. By default, they can be removed and re-added via the "Edit your courses" button (in this case, "Edit your topics").