The Students CSV is where you'll upload your list of students eligible to access your Community. Similar to the Tutors CSV, anyone inputted into the Students CSV will be eligible upon login to view and access your Community.
A manual upload of the Students CSV is recommended for Communities that will cater to a smaller number of students, as opposed to their entire school. Note that in order to restrict the students who can enter your Community to the ones on the Students CSV, you will need to make sure the student eligibility setting in your Admin Panel's Settings is "Use List" instead of "Everyone." "Use List" will restrict access to only the students in the Students CSV and providers in the Tutors CSV, as opposed to everyone in the school (i.e., the "Everyone" setting).
Another benefit of uploading the Student.csv is that for those students listed on the CSV, Penji will match the student check-in information to their greater Penji Profile. This creates more complete data for Kiosk Check-Ins. Ultimately, if we can match the ID or email the student uses to check in with a Penji Profile from the student list, the system will bring in the First Name, Last Name, and other student detail to the check-in data.
Where is the Students CSV located?
The Students CSV is located under Students > Manage > Import Students above the Student Metadata CSV section.
Figure 1: Location of the Students CSV is highlighted in yellow.
Filling out the Students CSV
NOTE: Before you fill out the Students CSV, please make sure you've set student eligibility to "Use List" in Settings!
Step by Step:
- Download the Students CSV by selecting "Download Template CSV" under "Import Students." The CSV template should look like this:
Figure 1: Students CSV template with an example row pre-filled.
- Input the first names, last names, and email addresses of all the students you want to allow into your Community. The SSO ID and Student ID columns are optional, but recommended if enabling SSO to log in to Penji and/or using Student IDs to check in to drop-in tutoring.
- After you've inputted all of your eligible students, save the Students CSV and upload it to Penji by selecting Choose file > Import Students CSV.
- Check that student eligibility in Settings is set to "Use List."
- Unlike the Courses CSV, which can be used alongside the Courses IT integration to upload custom courses, the Students CSV cannot currently be used to add additional students to the list provided by the Students IT integration.
- Manually uploading a Students CSV while the Students IT integration is enabled and student eligibility is set to "Use List" will override the list of students imported from IT until the next daily refresh.
- This will make all students who were not included on that Students CSV unable to access your Community until the daily refresh occurs and student eligibility is set to "Everyone."
- If you'd like to add additional students to the list provided by the Students data integration, please contact your IT department.
- If your school uses multiple email domains, double-check that the student emails you are entering are the ones they have access to and use.
- If enabling SSO for your Community, make sure that the student email addresses being entered in are tied to their SSO ID.
- You do not need to upload providers to your Students CSV in order for them to provide tutoring.
- Any students who have logged in to your Community, regardless of whether they're currently on the Students CSV, will appear in the Students > Search tab. Thus, even if you upload a smaller Students CSV than your previous upload or switch student eligibility from "Everyone" to "Use List," the Search tab will not remove students who logged in to your Community at one point but are no longer eligible.