Hello! Welcome to Penji. Penji is a scheduling platform for a variety of support resources on campus, most often tutoring and coaching, but in many cases advising as well. These different "centers" on campus can be engaged with separately through Penji, allowing you to schedule appointments, attend drop-in hours or group sessions, etc.
This article will introduce the basics - login, engaging with different centers (ie. "communities"), the modes of support in Penji, and how to get help.
As a quick primer:
- Penji can be accessed via web.penjiapp.com or our mobile app (iOS and Android). Both platforms are totally equivalent in features.
- Login usually occurs via your school's single signon system
- You'll be let into your "School" within Penji, where you'll find one or more communities (usually corresponding to different support centers on campus)
- Each community has a unique set of resources, falling under the umbrellas of Appointments, Drop-in, or Sections (groups)
- Explore the options in each center at will!
Penji can be accessed either through web.penjiapp.com (for browsers) or our mobile app (Android or iOS). Most schools have single signon setup with Penji; when you attempt to login, you'll input your school email, we'll recognize the email domain, and launch the signin process you use elsewhere on campus.
If you have any issues with this step (or anything else within Penji!), please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you've logged in, you'll find a screen that looks something like this:
The top title, AARC tutoring, corresponds to the community I am currently viewing. The options on this learn screen (three buttons in the middle) are this community's support options. You'll see other communities in the bottom left (eg. "Switch to The Writing Center") - tapping this will take you to this community, which will likely have different options of support available. Please note that the options within Penji will likely not represent all student support available on your campus - but we're working on it!
Modes of Support
Appointments are usually 1-on-1 interactions scheduled between yourself and a Provider (tutor, coach, etc.). This is the general flow for booking that you'll find:
- Tap "Schedule an appointment" on the home screen
- Select a course
- Pick a time - times from all providers for the selected course are shown
- NOTE: You can't currently filter these times to a specific provider, although that feature is coming soon. To find a provider, you'll have to pick a time and see if your desired provider is available on the next screen.
- Pick a tutor - multiple providers will be shown if available for that time and course. Tap each to see their detailed profile and select one to move forward.
- You can chat with providers at this step if you want to ask them questions first.
- Pick a location - the locations displayed depend on what location availability the provider has set for that given hour chunk. A different time/provider may have different location options available. Different communities also have different sets of locations.
- Topic - follow the instructions for entering this data.
- Confirm session request
- (Some time later) receive confirmation from tutor that they can attend the session.
- Meet the tutor at the time and location listed in Session Details.
Drop-in hours are listed in a given community as well, if available. The basic experience is:
- Pick a course
- View hours of support at each drop-in location for that specific course
- NOTE: check the drop-in schedule the same day you plan to attend for the most up-to-date schedule (tutors may have been booked for appointments during a drop-in slot, although most centers drop-in schedule won't change within 12 hours of a given slot)
- Head to that location at the given drop-in time
- Physical locations (as opposed to virtual) have a Kiosk that you can check into at the front desk/door.
- Some location types have a Queue, meaning once you check in, you'll be given a place in line and estimated wait time, and Penji will send updates as it is getting close to your turn. We recommend downloading the Penji mobile app to manage your place in the queue. You'll get helped, and often want to check in again, which is easily done from your mobile app (or web browser).
The Penji Sections model is for group sessions. Different centers have different names and designs of these groups. Common examples are:
- Supplemental Instruction
- Study Groups
- One-time Workshops and Test Reviews
Regardless, a button on your home screen may exist corresponding to a group session type. Registering and event info is very similar to appointments and should be self explanatory.