Sections is Penji's group model, used for Test Reviews, Workshops, Study Groups, Supplemental Instructions, etc. Your center will us it for it's own purposes.
The basics are:
- Communities either have admin-run sections or provider-run sections.
- If admin-run: Admins upload a "Section" with a specific location, date/time, end date (optional) course, and provider (you!)
- If provider-run: You will create your own sections. See the article Providers: Setting Up & Editing Hours, which discusses how to set up sections.
- Sections will show up on your Teach screen. Tap within a specific section for Session Details.
- As students join this group, they will show up under Attendees
- Meet your students for the session; during/after, log attendance (just like for an appointment, but with more attendees)
- If this is a weekly section, you must complete the feedback/attendance log before the following section. Our system auto-creates the next weekly section after the feedback/attendance log from the current week is completed. Meaning that until you complete the feedback/attendance log, the next upcoming section will not be displayed on your Teach screen.
Attendance Logging for Sections
A Section works very much like an appointment from the provider perspective, please review the article, Providers: Appointment Training, for more information on appointments. Like appointments, your session details will contain virtual meeting room links as well as the in-person location detail.
The difference, however, comes from attendance logging. When you hit "Check-In Students", you'll see many students. For a 5-person study group, this isn't so hard. But in some cases, admins will upload "Rosters" of 100+ students to your section - these are the possible attendees of your group event and pre-populate your attendance log. This ensures that anyone who shows up will be a simple tap for you to log, BUT it makes the list quite long.
Advice for logging attendance in large-group sessions with a roster
- The list of students is alphabetized, helping a bit
- Students who've RSVP'ed (joined) the session from their Penji account will rise to the top, allowing for quicker logging; ask students to RSVP in future weeks to make your life easier
- Some providers will ask students to check themselves in on the provider's laptop/device at the front as they walk in. Check with your program coordinator to make sure this is ok!
Plans to improve this system
Sections are used in lots of different formats - please share your feedback as a provider on what would make life easier! A big next step for us is "student self-check-in", giving you a QR code they can scan to check themselves in.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with feedback, including complaints about the current system.