On Penji, each tutor (or advisor, coach, mentor, etc.) uses their personal Zoom room to host sessions. For this reason, both your Zoom settings and your Penji settings will matter.
When a Zoom location is enabled for either appointments or Drop-In, you must enter your Zoom Details before you are able to do anything else in Penji. Note that you are able to edit your Zoom details later through Settings > Zoom. A workaround for bypassing the initial Zoom Setup Screen is to enter "1" into each of the different lines, as shown below.
You can find your Personal Meeting Room info at Zoom.us. Sign into your account (often granted by your university, but a personal account works too), and then navigate to “Meetings” -> “Personal Room”, as shown below.
NOTE: Some terminology might be different based on your version of Zoom. See below:
- "Personal Meeting Code," = "Host Key"
- "Personal Meeting URL" = "Personal Link"
The goal is to have your Join URL contain ?pwd=... as shown above. The following settings will make sure that is the case.
- Tap the Edit button In Meetings (see screenshot above, lower right corner). Ensure Passcode is checked and waiting room is checked or unchecked to your personal preference (this will be your Zoom waiting room which operates independently of any Penji feature). Hit save.
- Click Settings (left hand bar) and find “Personal Meeting ID (PMI) Passcode” as well as “Embed passcode in invite link for one-click join”. They should be near one another in the top section of settings. Ensure these are both on.
- Find “Enable Personal Meeting ID” and ensure this is on.
Adding Zoom Information to Penji
As a tutor, you will input your Meeting ID, Passcode (also known as "Host Key" in some versions of Zoom), and Personal Meeting URL (also known as "Personal Link" in some versions of Zoom) into Penji. We will share this information with your students and provide an easy route to join your room when it’s time. To input your information, login to your Penji Account and go settings -> Zoom Settings -> Edit and Input your data.
NOTE1 : The Personal Meeting URL (titled “Invite Link” or "Personal Link" in Zoom) is the most important setting to get right, allowing students to join your Zoom room with one click. The other two fields in Penji act as backup information.
NOTE 2: When you return to this screen later, the fields will be blank; this doesn’t mean you haven’t input your information. You will see the PMI and summary text on the screen before this and can rest assured your data is in there.
Using a Zoom Meeting That Isn’t Your Personal Room
It is possible to create a meeting within Zoom that can be used in place of your personal room. This may be useful for privacy concerns or if you would like to regularly switch the links and require a student’s participation in Penji to receive the up-to-date links.
- Click “Meetings” -> “Schedule a Meeting” at zoom.us (after signing in)
- Check “Recurring Meeting” and select “No Fixed Time” in the associated drop-down menu
- Use “Generate Automatically” for the Meeting ID field, and ensure a Passcode is enabled.
- Save, and then copy this meeting’s ID, passcode, and Join URL into the associated fields in Penji settings as above (ignore the fact that it says “Personal Meeting ID etc.; this standing meeting will work just as well).
Holding a Session
At the start of a tutoring shift, you will open your Personal Zoom room with the “Start” button you can see below. Students will be given a link to join this room within Penji, so just wait for them to arrive.
Here is the flow of what happens if you do not login to Zoom before a shift:
NOTE: Penji will still be used alongside your meeting in order to track session attendance, so keep Penji open for easy access before/during/after your Zoom call.